Aug 15, 2011

Running in Ruskin

I said I would dedicate a post to my runs in Ruskin, Florida so here it is. When I think of Florida I think of alligators, armadillos, swamps and Disney World!  In spite of the crazy weather in Ruskin, Florida, I decided to get a couple of runs in while I was visiting my sister. I knew that I would not be able to get my long run of the week done but since my sister and her hubby go to bed later and sleep in I had no excuse to not get my butt out there! I guess I am not used to the humidity in Florida because I was a sweaty, salty mess by mile 2 and that doesn’t usually happen that quickly!


I was a sweaty and salty mess!
I got two runs in while I was in Florida. I did a 6-mile run on Friday and a 5-mile run on Sunday and even though it was very hot and humid I think I kind of enjoyed myself.  I did have to take a few breaks and drink lots of water to survive it though. The change of scenery was nice and I was hoping to experience some interesting things while in Florida but that didn’t really happen or at least it didn’t happen the way that I had hoped it would....

I really wanted to see an armadillo and unfortunately this was how I experienced it :(
I don't think this is a swamp but it was the closest that I got to it!
Scary forest...looks like something you see in a horror movie, huh?
I saw way more cyclists than runners when I was out there. The temperature was between 82-84 degrees on both of my running days, but the humidity is what killed me!   I went for my runs around 7:00am so maybe Floridians get out there before 7:00am. I guess they know better. I ran along the main drag, Highway 301, since I didn’t want to get too adventurous on my runs and end up lost! Highway 301 is a pretty flat road with lot of churches, housing communities and scary looking forests (at least that’s what they look like to me.) One thing that I did notice was that all of the truckers like to honk at the runners.  I am not used to that kind of attention in California. I usually get strange stares when I am waiting at the signals to cross the street. I always wonder what those California people are thinking about me because they just stare at me like I am insane!




Very helpful...

One runner..one bike rider..
After completing/surviving these two short runs in Ruskin, I am doubtful that I will ever be able to run the Disney World Marathon.  In my opinion, if you don’t train in the Florida weather it will be hard to hang in the humidity for 26.2 miles.  I must say that I am in love with the medal for the Disney World Half Marathon but $160.00 for a half-marathon is a little pricey for me. I love Disney and all but I am not sure if I want to drop a $160 entry fee plus airfare and all of that good stuff!

Isn't this medal so cute??

Weekly Recap

This is what I was supposed to do:

Monday: Cross Train
Tuesday: 5 Mile Tempo
Wednesday: Cross Train
Thursday: 5 Mile Tempo
Friday: 8 Miles
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: 12 Miles 
TOTAL MILES: 30

Here is what I actually did:

Monday: 4.26 Miles @9.09 (It was 90 degrees)
Tuesday: 3.3 Miles @8:45 (It was 88 degrees)
Wednesday: 4.11 Miles @9:17 (Just feeling lazy!)
Thursday: Rest
Friday: 6 Miles @8:36
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: 5 Miles @8:34 
TOTAL MILES: 22.67

I am determined to stay on track this week.  I just completed my 18-mile training run yesterday.  My goal was to maintain marathon pace for the entire run (9:00-9:05.)  I will have to tell you all about it and whether or not I met my goal.  Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how Florida runners do it! And the funny thing is- those 80 degree temps were probably cold for the Floridians!!!!

    Thanks for the feedback on the plyo workout! I think I will make a video- its such a good workout! Nice job on the runs!

    ReplyDelete