Sep 16, 2012

Color Me Rad 5K: A Family Fun Run: 9/15/12

I love doing a fun running event each year and this one was definitely fun! We ran it as a family which made it really fun. The event is not timed and most of the participants come out to just have a good time. The participants are given a t-shirt, sunglasses, a color bomb, a RAD tattoo, a ticket to an event at the venue and a bib for the entry fee. 

The event took place at the Fontana Speedway and looped around the race track so the course was flat and easy for most. They also allowed strollers and children of all ages participated so it was a real family oriented event.
The weather was very warm at the 8:00am start. It was close to 80 degrees and they only had a couple of water stops on the course. I carried my handheld water bottle for my son because I knew he would be thirsty. Good thing I did because they were out of water at the first water stop and were just offering cups of ice. Most people were out on the course for an extended amount of time enjoying the color stations and taking lots of pictures so they were a little disappointed when there was no water!
Throughout the course, there are several color stations where different colors are thrown/sprayed on you. By the time you reach the finish, you have several colors on your face, clothes, shoes, hair, etc. It's a very messy event to say the very least!
My son enjoyed the color stations and wanted to be done in between. They also sold these color bombs which people were throwing at one another throughout the course. We bought my son five color bombs so he was having a great time color bombing me, those he passed and himself as well.
The color consists of corn starch and is fairly easy to get off. I had to scrub myself a little bit to get it off but I thought it was going to be worse. I rinsed all of our clothes out before putting them in the washer and they came out pretty clean. This race is a messy one so if you plan on doing a color run bring a change of clothes, bags for your colored clothes and shoes, towels to put on your car seats, and a towel to clean your face! We came prepared so it wasn't as messy as it could have been.
COLOR ME RAD 5K Finishers! We were very COLOR WASTED!!

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/16/2012

    What a fun time! Glad you were able to enjoy that with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time!! It was messy but we survived!!

      Delete
  2. I love running races with family members! We did a St. Patrick's Day race with family and walked the 5K through the (very Irish) city of Somerville, MA. My husband wore a green wig and the other family members all wore varying degrees of green. We had so much fun and you look like you did too - in color :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We walked for most of the race and really enjoyed ourselves!! No pressure just a good time!! Sometimes you just have to have fun!!

      Delete
  3. How fun! I would have done it if they had it on Sunday! AYSO started again and now we have 2 games on Saturdays!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys would have really enjoyed it! It was warm out there but since we were not running it was not that bad. You should do it next year!

      Delete
  4. WOW! Looks like you guys had a blast! I am so jealous because we don't have Color Me Rad here. It looks like the world's most amazing 5K!!!!! I am crossing my fingers that they bring it to Canada. I will be the first to sign up! Congrats to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why it has not made it to Canada yet? You would have a blast. My son really enjoyed it! I had a good time but don't really like the messy stuff like mud runs so it was an experience for me.

      Delete
  5. How fun! Glad you guys had such a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete