Nov 29, 2011

San Dimas Turkey Trot 5K: 11/26/11

I think I was pretty turkey trotted out the morning of this race!  I was not in the mood to run and I was seriously considering being a no show.  I finally got it together and decided that I might as well run it since I paid for it!  I guess I was feeling pretty satisfied with my PR from Thursday and got a little lazy!
Since bib pick up was only available the day of the race, I had to get up a little earlier than I wanted to.  When we arrived at the race, it was 43 degrees and I was so glad that I wore my new running tights! I had never ran in tights before so this was a change for me too since I always run in shorts. After picking up my bib, we went back to the car and finally decided to head back 15 minutes before the start time.
Can you find me?
The course was in a familiar place where I do lots of my long training runs but I had never actually ran in this particular area of Bonelli Park. The course was a bit hilly, in my opinion, and I didn't care for the way the course did a turn around half way through.  Any speed that you had going at that point was lost because you had to run around two cones and make a u-turn!

I was feeling really slow and lazy in the beginning and just kept telling myself to just go with what I felt.  My splits were not great and I know that I could have done better and pushed myself much harder. The air was so cold that it was difficult to breath normally and I never experienced that before. My feet were also frozen! Strange morning for me to say the least. My splits went something like this and I also forgot to stop my Garmin at the finish...FAIL!
Mile 1: 7:35
Mile 2: 7:42
Mile 3: 7:48-I dropped my water bottle and had to stop to pick it up..FAIL! I lost some serious time here but didn't really care for some reason.  A girl who had pretty much been running with me the whole time came over after the race and told me that I had a nice finish in spite of having to stop to hydrate.  Uh, that was not a hydration stop...it was a "I am too cheap to leave the dropped bottle behind stop!" 
I hope I finished before him!
The volunteers were serving pumpkin pie to the participants after the race and my son quickly volunteered to eat mine for me!
Good thing my son ate that pumpkin pie for me because I decided to support my favorite small business on Small Business Saturday and celebrated like this instead!
This turkey trot was a very small event with only 216 participants which is the only reason why I placed 20/216, 3rd overall female and first in my age group with a time of 23:56.  I ended up walking away with three medals in spite of a less than great performance. These small races can really give you an ego boost when you least expect it and it was nice to walk away with three medals.
I tried out my Handful bra for the first time and I have to say that I really like it.  It was super comfy and I actually looked like I had a handful!!  I think I am going to invest in another one or two or maybe I will add them to my Christmas/Fitness Wish List. 

4 comments:

  1. that is a lot of medals for a 5k!
    congrats!
    I did not want to do that one because of the course...I read a part of it was on a trail and even going in water...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, that's an awesome time! I love the medals :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa speed demon! That's awesome and how cute of them to offer pumpkin pie after the race. Where was the pumpkin ale? hehe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3rd overall woman PLUS age group win, congrats!!!!!

    ReplyDelete