May 28, 2012

Run for the Red 10K: 5/28/12

This was my second stab at a 10K.  I have been horrible about setting goals lately and I didn't have any going into this 10K.  It seems like recently my overall goal has simply been to get out there and have a decent run! The weather was warm and I don't think that I have ever entered a race that starts at 9:15am.  It was 67 degrees at the start but the sun was beaming and I was already sweating before it even started.
The course was not bad at all and for the most part it was shaded but I am a big baby when it comes to running in temperatures above 60 degrees.  Those who ran the 10K basically ran the 5K course twice.  The biggest problem was that there was only one water stop on the 5K course at mile 1.6 or so and that was it!! I carried my own water but 90% of the runners did not and I felt really bad for them because they were thirsty!!
It was a very small race, with only 119 people running the 10K so that was just what I needed to give me that confidence boost that I have been needing! I love small races, especially when there are only 4 women in my age group!  That gave me a 25% chance of placing in my age group and I placed first! My official time was 51:52 (8:21 PACE).  It was not a PR for me but I felt like it was a decent time for me coming off of an injury and it gives me something to work toward. 
After the race, I iced my leg and headed home to BBQ for Memorial Day with my family! I guess I should have hung around for my first place AG medal but perhaps they will mail it.

6 comments:

  1. look at you with a first place!!! fantastic! congrats!!! I still wish I had been there but I am in so much pain now better to not race :)
    was it the same course as the turkey trot?
    or the 4th of july 5k maybe?
    I love the claremont races!

    I am so happy for you that you got such a great time! that is fast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on the 10K! Hooray for placing 1st in your AG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a *great* post-injury 10K. You did wonderfully! I think it's safe to say you are back....

    ReplyDelete
  4. fast lady!!!! Well done!!! :>)

    ReplyDelete