Sep 22, 2012

9/22/12: Girls on the Go 10K

I am thankful to have participated in my second 10K today! My right shin is still not 100% but I rested it all week and it does feel a lot better. I was hesitant to run this race since it was inside of Frank G. Bonelli Park in San Dimas which is very hilly for me. I have ran here before on a good day and it works me out! I made the decision to run this 10K at 6am this morning when I woke up because I was not feeling any pain.
My friend Shawna was also registered for the race and is just coming back from a foot injury so we were both on the fence about running it. Shawna suggested that we run it together and see what happens. Shawna's sister, her mom and a friend ran the 5K which started 15 minutes after the 10K. 
Bib pick up was only offered the day of the event which was nice. I live about 20 minutes from the event but it was nice not having to make the trip twice.
The parking was $10 which was not a plus but worked out since I was able to park close to  the finish. This was very convenient for me to get back to my car and ice my shin after I finished. I am learning that not every race has to be a PR or anything spectacular. It is always a great feeling when you have a great race but today it felt good just to run. This was an inaugural race and was not a very big event. It was aimed towards women so there was lots and lots of pink runners out on the course!!! Shawna and I joined in on the fun and wore our pink too!!
The 10K started at 8am and the course had lots of small hills so it was not easy. It did not help that I haven't ran in over a week. The uphill climb came right in the beginning of the course so it was challenging for us from the start. The last half was more downhill so it kind of made up for the first half.
Around mile 2.5 there was a small stream that you have to cross over to get to a dirt path so I took my time stepping on rocks to avoid stepping into the water.  This seemed a little dangerous to me but most of the runners were just running through it since the water level was very low. I did not want to run in wet shoes so I took my time!
At Mile 4 we took a short walking break and then finished it off. My official time was 56:39 (9:06 pace) and I was happy with that. I finished 24th out of 211 10K participants and 5th in my age group. 
Definitely not a PR but I did not monitor my pace at all today. I did wear my Garmin but time was not my focus today. My focus was to finish and not earn a DNF due to shin pain.
The event was very small and pretty well organized for being an inaugural race. The medals were not handed out at the finish and you had to go to another location to pick them up which I though was kind of strange. The medal is cute and very "Girlicous" as they call it!
Love my Chill Towel after a race!
Do you want to stay cool during and after a race/workout? Then enter my Giveaway! You can find it here!

16 comments:

  1. awesome pics, and what a nice run! Love the premise of the 'girls on the go'!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a small race but really girly/pink and I like that. There were a few men out there running but the awards went to the women!!

      Delete
  2. Nice job! Glad your shin held up for you. Hopefully it continues to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am paying for it today. It hurts again but not too bad. I am thinking of getting an MRI if this doesn't show some improvement in the next week. I hate it when I can't run :(

      Delete
  3. You looked really cute in your pink, and it sounds like you ran smart and had fun! I'm glad you're taking care of business with the shin, though--nipping it in the bud is always better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terzah. I never wear pink and had this outfit for a while and this seemed to be the right race to wear it for! This whole shin problem is really starting to bug me! I want it to be done!

      Delete
  4. LOVE your pink skirt! I have that one is black, in fact I am wearing it right now. Great job on your 10k, hope your shin feels better soon. Injuries suck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Christy! I fell in love with this skirt and bought it in 4 colors! ooops... Lululemon is dangerous and I haven't bought anything in a while. I have to figure out how to stay injury free because this sucks!!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE the pink!!! and I love that you ran it without feeling a need for a PR. I think somethimes that takes the fun out of the sport and makes it more of a job than an enjoyment!!

    Hope you get back to feeling better real soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the well wishes. I totally agree that sometimes you just have to let the competitive side of you take a break and just enjoy the fact that you are running. I always try to run at least one fun run a year and just go with it.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous9/25/2012

    Nice job on the race! I absolutely love that skirt!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. Lululemon is so cute but can be habit forming!!

      Delete
  7. Nice job on the 10K! That may not have been a PR for you but it's a fast time in my opinion and you both looked great in your pink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suz! I didn't do too bad for having walked for a bit!

      Delete
  8. Hey girl, got my package from you!!! YAYAY!! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete