Feb 6, 2012

Everything Happens for a Reason

If you follow my blog you already know that I was not able to run the Surf City Marathon yesterday.  I thought about it all week and just got more and more depressed about it.  I am dealing with some knee pain right now and made the decision to put the run off and give myself some time to heal.  The pain is still the same and I finally saw an orthopedic doctor last week and he ordered an MRI of my left knee. I am scheduled to have the MRI done this week so I am hoping for good news.  He has given me a number of possible scenarios of which none are good but as long as I don't have to go under the knife I am good! I am hoping it is not joint related but I have started drinking this stuff to keep my joints greased since I am not getting any younger! My friend Maura swears by it and has advised me to try it out.


God works in mysterious ways and I am now kind of glad that Surf City did not happen for me. I woke up on Saturday morning and decided that I would get my Starbucks and start taking care of some things on my To Do List. When I opened the door of my car, I smelled a really bad odor..like rotten eggs!  It was pretty nasty.  I started searching all over the car trying the figure out where the smell was coming from but nothing in the car was causing the smell.  My son is notorious for leaving food among other things in the car but it wasn't him this time.  I gave up looking for the smell and pushed the Start button on my car and then I saw this warning light....CHECK BATTERY!

I drive a hybrid and the battery in a Toyota Prius is not the same as a battery in a non-hybrid so you can't just run down to the auto part store and buy a new one. The hybrid is pretty new so most mechanics don't even want to touch it! I know that the car has two batteries but I wasn't even sure where to find them!  Had I not decided to run the Surf City Marathon I would have gotten in my car to drive to the Expo and ended up with this nightmare.  I would have had a massive panic attack so maybe it wasn't meant to be! So I was forced to stay home for most of the day on Saturday until my car was fixed.


Thank God for AAA because the first 7 miles are free and any miles after that are on you. The dealership was 5 miles away so I didn't have to pay anything to have the car towed. I guess it could have been worse but $400 later I have my car again. The service department was so busy so it  took the entire day to fix my car. The rotten egg smell was coming from the battery because it was not only dead, but also leaking. All I can think about now is how much $400 could have bought me at Lululemon versus buying a hybrid battery!


WISH ME LUCK ON MY MRI!!  I miss running so much that I just wear my new running shoes around the house and just stare at them!  Really...I do!! I can't wait to break them in!!

5 comments:

  1. Don't think about it too much, you'll be running before you know it! Get healthy, so you can enjoy your runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin. I try not to think about it but it's hard :( I am hoping for the best.

      Delete
  2. OH NO, I am sorry to hear about your car. I have such a hard time stomaching big costs like that which are associated with things that I don't really care about, like a car...

    And I'm sending MAJOR good vibes in your direction for your MRI! But I am so glad that you're getting an MRI because that's usually a great way to diagnose mysterious things. It was an MRI that found the stress fracture in my pelvis in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good vibes. I just hope it is something that can easily be fixed and I can get back to running really soon. I had big plans for 2012 and now it looks like it may not happen anymore :(

      Delete
  3. Sorry about your car! Glad it was an easy fix though!

    ReplyDelete