Dec 11, 2012

Saying Goodbye is Never Easy

Last night we said goodbye to Grandpa. He passed away peacefully with all of us by his side. My Grandpa was a very proud man and was really unhappy with his life once the Parkinson's disease became so progressive. He was unable to do all of things that he wanted to do physically but mentally he was longing to do so much.
Grandma honored all of his wishes and was relieved to see him released from all of the pain and suffering that she had seen him going through for the past year. We knew it was his time when his breathing became very shallow and his breaths were far apart. When it was time, I called my Grandma to be by his side. She told him that she loved him and wanted him to go rest and she would be there to meet him one day.  It was at that moment that Grandpa took his very last breath. We will always love him and always remember him. He had a heart of gold and was always there for me and my family. I am so lucky to have had such a wonderful Grandpa in my life.
My son is taking it very hard. It is his, as well as my own, first experience with the death of a close relative. My son thinks that we made a mistake and that Grandpa is still alive.  He wants to go to the funeral home to check on him to make sure that he is not still breathing. It is hard to see my son like this but we continue to remind him of how much Grandpa loved him and how he will always be with us and we will see him again someday. We also remind him that Grandpa is now resting and is happy and pain free. He finds some comfort in knowing this.
We are waiting for some families member to arrive from out of state and will lay him to rest early next week. Please pray for my family as we say goodbye to him. It will be one of the hardest things that I have ever had to do but I know that I have to stay strong for my Grandma.

I love you Grandpa and I miss you so much! 

25 comments:

  1. I am so sorry hear the news of your grandfather. You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the prayers Becky. It is going to be tough.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear this. You are all in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christy. Death is a horrible thing to have to deal with.

      Delete
  3. Oh Sandy I am so very sorry for your loss. Keeping you and your family on my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline. It's NOT going to be a very Merry Christmas :(

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry Sandy :( It is never easy...

    I wish I had something soothing to offer, but what I can say is that even those of us who have never met you wish you comfort and peace during this difficult time. I feel for you and your family.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. I appreciate your thoughts for comfort and peace.

      Delete
  5. Thinking of you and your family! It's never easy, whether your first or fifth. I can only imagine your struggle as you deal with it for the first time, in addition to comforting your son.

    Love, prayers and peace for your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan. It has been really tough for all of us especially with it being so close to Christmas. I haven't been in the spirit of the holiday season but hopefully it gets better soon.

      Delete
  6. Just think of all of your beautiful memories. SO hard getting a child to understand death. Thinking of you over the next couple of weeks and sending prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marissa. My son is having a hard time. He wakes up everyday and asks me if he just dreaming. I feel so bad for him.

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry for this loss, Sandy. Grandparents are so important--I completely understand. I will absolutely pray for your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terzah. My son is taking it pretty bad because he is so close to his grandparents.

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss...my prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time. Remember that he is indeed in a better place and pain free. He's looking down on all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin. We miss him but we know that he is no longer suffering and is in a better place indeed :)

      Delete
  9. I, too, am so sorry for your loss, Sandy. My prayers will definitely be with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bill for thinking of us and praying for us :)

      Delete
  10. I'm so sorry for your loss. You, and your family, are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers :)

      Delete
  11. Sorry for you loss.:( Many prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12/13/2012

    I'm so sorry for your loss, my prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Missy for keeping us in your prayers.

      Delete
  13. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Sandy. I hope your son is doing better with handling the loss of your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete