I feel like things are finally starting to move in the right direction for me as far as running but it has been a very slow process. My mileage is still really low because I am trying to slowly ease back into things. My longest run since the LA Marathon happened today and I ran a total of 17 miles for the week.
I lost four weeks of training for my next marathon due to the pain I was having in my hip. My next race is the Mountains 2 Beach Marathon on May 25th which is supposed to be a really important race for me. I was going to make my first attempt at a BQ but with the training that I have lost I am not feeling very optimistic about my goal. I have spent this past week thinking about how I should approach this race. Last year I ran my best marathon time on this course and I want to remember this course in a positive light.
I have kind of broken in down into a few choices.
1) Run the marathon even if I have to give up my goal of a BQ attempt. I mean I really want to run this race because I love the course but running a marathon just to do it is kinda hard on your body and I am not sure if I want to do that right now considering that I am not 100%. I also have the expense of a hotel and travel and I would rather not spend that money on a race that I am just running for the heck of it. This whole running thing can get expensive!
2) Transfer my bib and not run the marathon. This is the decision that I am leaning towards if you asked me for an answer today. I have other races lined up this year and I am thinking that it may be smarter to give my body the time it needs to get back into things and then realign my goals for a future marathon.
3) Downgrading to the half marathon is no longer an option since it is now sold out.
I have a lot of thinking to do in the next few weeks since my deadline to transfer my bib is May 15th. I am going to see how my long runs go for the next two weeks (13 and 15 miles) and then make a decision. I really need to make the smartest decision because I don't want to push myself into a injury that is going to sideline me for a few months. I feel that I am lucky given that this race allows for me to transfer my bib for just $15.00.
Have you ever been in a similar situation? How did you handle it?