Mar 20, 2012

Baby Steps


I finally feel like I might be making some progress! 

I have successfully jogged/walked four miles twice without any pain during or after!  I am not a huge fan of the treadmill but I lately the treadmill has been good to me and I might be having a change of heart. 
Sorry dreadmill treadmill for not showing you the love!

I was given the go-ahead by my PT to try a jog/walk combo on the treadmill. I am doing two minutes of walking at 3.8-4.0 and then a jog for two minutes at 5.0. I have been playing around with the time to see if I can handle a little more and I am now able to do two minutes
of walking and five minutes of jogging without
any pain during or after. I don’t break much of a sweat so
I hop on the elliptical for 15 minutes after my 45-minute treadmill workout and pick up the pace!

I am finally learning to be more patient and accept this whole recovery process. I know that I have to start slowly and work myself back to where I was. This is the hard part because I have so many races that I want to run and so many goals that I want to tackle. I just keep telling myself...

"Be patient. You will get there. Slowly but surely you will get there."

This post guest from BQ by 40 about a runners journey to qualify for Boston also gave me some inspiration today. Check it out!

12 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the patience we learn from injury....so glad things are moving in a positive direction for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right! I am learning to be patient and refraining from pushing myself even when I feel like I can do a little bit more. Thank you for the motivation..I need it right now!

      Delete
  2. The treadmill can definitely be good to you when coming back from an injury! I definitely relied on it! So happy you are feeling better and getting your run/jog on again! Hope it keeps moving up from here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving the treadmill right now! It is my only true friend. Thank you for the well wishes :)

      Delete
  3. So glad you are making progress! Keep your head up soon you will be back and better than ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christy. It feels good to be able to do just a little more!

      Delete
  4. YAY!! being able to run at all is definitely progress - you'll get back to your old speeds soon I'm sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Racheal. I am not out of the woods yet but it feels good to be a little bit closer!

      Delete
  5. Thank you Christy! My patience are definitely being tested but I am optimistic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is definitely good progress! So happy to hear you are getting better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope it continues to heal so I can get back out there!

      Delete
  7. That treadmill action sounds wonderful! I can't wait to get the run/walk go-ahead. And I'm really happy to hear you are pain-free. Enjoy, and remember patience, and just soak up inspiration elsewhere until you can make it again for yourself.

    ReplyDelete