Apr 22, 2014

I Might Just Have to Do It!


In my last post I talked about my options for the marathon that I have coming up on May 25th. Well, I was decided that I would not run the marathon. I found out that I could defer my entry to 2015 for a $17.00 fee but before I made it official, I wanted to call and cancel my hotel reservation.

I called to cancel my hotel reservation and I was told that it is non-refundable. I was not aware of that when I booked it and my confirmation mentions nothing about the non-refundable cancellation policy. I guess I could dispute the charge with my credit card company but with my luck I would end up paying for it! I am now thinking that I do not want to just pay $175.00 for a hotel that I am not going to use. This is my current dilemma that I have to deal with.

My training up until this point has not been so great but I might just end up running this marathon and swallowing my pride. I am sure it will not be anything great but if I am pain free and able to get at least one 20 miler in, I am probably going to suck it up and run it! I love the course and loved the idea that it is or should I say "was" a really small race. This year they allowed an extra 500 runners into the marathon so I am hoping that this will not be a problem since the majority of the course is on a narrow bike path.

On a positive note, running went pretty good last week.

Tuesday: Warm Up, 3 X 2 Miles with 800m recovery, Cool Down for a total of 8 Miles@ 8:37 pace. Changing things up kind of helped me to get this done on the machine without dying of boredom. I felt pretty good (during and after this run) and started feeling like I am getting back on track.

Thursday: 7.16 Miles @8:23 average pace, which was tougher than it should have been which is frustrating but I know that I have to work at it.

Saturday: 13.05 Miles @8:52 average pace. I kept it easy for the first nine miles and then picked it up for the last four. I am trying to start my long runs slower and keep the pace at what a long run pace should be. That is sometimes hard for me because I want to hurry and finish.
Total Miles: 28.21

I am hoping to increase my mileage next week and pick up the pace on my long run by adding a few more miles at MGP or faster. Thank you for all of your support over the past few weeks which has not been the greatest.


How was your week? What are you training for?

11 comments:

  1. So frustrating. I feel like it borders on criminal that things like hotel and airline reservations are non-refundable. If you're not using the service, you shouldn't be charged for it. There are plenty of people who would take your spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure somebody who love to have my hotel room too. It is a minute walk from the Finish Line and bus pick up but you know how that goes. I guess I can try to talk to the management to see if they will allow me to cancel.

      Delete
  2. You seem speedy and should feel confident with those training paces. If you feel good about building up the miles then it seems like you could do the race without injuring yourself. But to do the race just because you have the hotel? What about giving yourself permission to go for a weekend vacation without running (or at least without racing!) and/or volunteering at the race (I haven't volunteered at a marathon yet and it's on my bucket list -- not that I would ever pay for a hotel just to volunteer, but at least it would give the weekend some meaning). I agree it's pretty frustrating to be on the hook for the hotel charge. Good luck whatever you decide! As for my week (thank you for asking LOL), my training is going well as I build up to the Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon on May 10. I usually do a plan where I run 3x per week and cross train 2-3 other times, and this round I'm running 4x per week and cross training 2x, and it's a good challenge for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always the voice of reason. I definitely thought about going for a mini vacation but that would be very hard for me since I know that I would be regretting that I didn't run. I would love to volunteer as well but I think this would not be a good time to volunteer since I would be sad that I was not running. I am just being honest...I think I can finish the race but not at a decent time. Marathons really take a lot out of us so I am really not for running them just to do them. I really want to be able to give a good effort and when I can't, I feel bad about it. Sounds like you have a great training plan. I usually run three to four times a week as well but need to be more disciplined with cross training. Good luck at the Santa Barbara Wine Country Half. I am sure that you will do great!

      Delete
    2. I understand -- I would totally feel the same way. I have yet to sign up for a race and then not run it (and thank goodness those have all turned out to be okay decisions -- not the best results but no injuries either!) I am rooting for you!

      Delete
  3. Boo. Sorry about the hotel. Flying Pig 3-way for me on May 4 and 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like fun! I am not so sure about the 4-Way though!

      Delete
  4. I am rooting for you whatever you decide to do. I think someday you and I should run a race together. Maybe attempt that BQ together. We would make a good team.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you say that because when I read that you are down on yourself (even though you are a total rockstar) I wish I was close by to go for a run with you. Maybe it will happen even if we don't shoot for that BQ. I have a sister that lives in Charleston, SC and I had my eye on the Charleston Marathon for a couple of years now!

      Delete
  5. Maybe karma is telling you that it'll all be OK....with perhaps some readjusted goals. I've been feeling quite a bit of shin pain since a stupidly fast increase of mileage (so frustrating to have done that to myself!), so am nervous about my marathon this Sunday. I'm pretty sure I'll be OK, but know that this marathon is a training run for another race - just gotta remember that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bummer for shin pain. Rest should do you some good. You are exactly right. I am sure it won't be my best race if I decide to go for it. I am trying to be okay with that but sometimes that is hard for me. I want to do well but sometimes things just get in the way. I really love the race and want to run it but I guess I am just not confident that I will be off of the course in a half way decent time. Thank you for the support (as always).

      Delete