Aug 10, 2014

Marathon Training (8/4-8/10)

Can you believe that the Ventura Marathon is just four weeks away? I am really starting to get nervous about it! The hot weather was really scaring me at first but it is comforting to know that the weather in Ventura, CA has been much better than what I have been experiencing!

Weather in Ventura, CA
Weather  in My City versus


I took advantage of the small drop in the temperatures this past week because I have heard that the heat will be back this week. I haven't ran on the treadmill in over a week because I was really getting burned out and felt like I need to log more road miles. 

Here is what I did this week:

Monday: Rest Day from running but did some push-ups, squats and other strength training with my medicine ball.

Tuesday: 8.5 Mile Tempo Run/8:00 avg./I finally had a decent run and it felt good to hit some sub 8:00 miles out on the road. By the end of the day, my legs were pretty sore. I am sure it was from the squats the day before and not from the run.

Wednesday: Rest Day from running but did some core work. My legs were still a little sore so I knew I needed to take a day off from running to recover for my next run.

Thursday: 6.2 Miles @8:16 avg. pace/We have been going to the local bike trail versus the gym lately. It was 80 degrees and a bit windy so it wasn't that bad. The first two miles (8:46, 8:47) were a little tough since they were slightly uphill with a head wind. The last 4.2 miles were much better and I felt pretty good so I pushed it a little bit (8:13, 8:22, 7:59, 7:40.)

FridayRest Day from running but did some strength training. I took my grandma to visit my grandpa's grave since it was his birthday. He would have been 78 years old.


Saturday: 15 Miles@9.44 avg. pace. I ran my long run with my friend Maritza since her and I will be running the Long Beach Marathon together. It was nice to have someone to run with because long runs are painful when you run them alone. 

Sunday: 6.3 Mile Recovery Run @9:34 pace/ I ran the first 4 miles with my other half and the last 2 alone. This is his second week of training for his half marathon in November and he is doing pretty good. This run really made me see the benefit of keeping the pace easy on the long runs. My legs felt great and I could have gone further than 6 miles. It is not often that I feel this way the day after my long run but perhaps it was due to the easy pace I kept on this run.

We also celebrated my Grandma's 87th birthday on Sunday. My grandparents birthdays are two days apart but my grandma is nine years older than my grandpa. We took her out to lunch and we had a really good time. She was happy. She always gets sad for my grandpa on special occasions but today she did pretty good.

Total Miles: 36 which puts me at 60 miles for the month of August. This was also the last week of the Summer Run Challenge which really kept me accountable to my weekly miles.

Next week calls for a 20 mile long run which always make me nervous. I might take a trip out to the actual course and run my long run out in Ventura just to get a feel for it. The course is supposed to be a flat, out and back course but I have heard that you catch a head wind on the way back. I am not sure if this will boost or kill my confidence. Sometimes it is better not to know, right?

Does part of your marathon training include running parts of the actual course?

No comments:

Post a Comment