Aug 31, 2014

Why I Joined a Running Club

I am not going to do my weekly recap as I normally do because I don't have anything to recap. I am sure you don't want to hear me talk about how I have not been running so I won't do that either. I think I  just will talk about the other exciting things in my life like my new running club. I have a lot to be thankful for so I am staying as positive as I can about this whole hip issue.

I was planning on going to my first meeting with the club on Saturday but I knew that I would have been tempted to run. I decided to wait until I can run again since it might be weird to show up at a running club if you can't run. Hopefully that will be really soon. I have been wanting to join a running club for a while but just haven't taken the time to do it.  I wanted to join a running club for a few reasons so here are just a few reasons why I decided to do it.

1) I am tired of running those long runs all by myself. Those 20 milers can be pretty brutal when you are out there by yourself.

2) Time flies when you run with a group or even with one other person. I used to run with my close friend but once her husband passed away her desire to run just kind of went away. I have been trying to get her back into running but I can see that right now she just isn't ready. I miss running with her so I figured that joining a running club would give me some company and give me an opportunity to meet some new people who also love running.

3) I like the idea of meeting other people who share the same passion as I do. I think that this like-mindedness (is that even a word) is great because it causes us to motivate each other, share training ideas, share our achievements and it is also a safer environment than just running alone.

4) I feel like I need to change things up. I sometimes feel like I am stuck in a typical routine and running the same old routes that I always train on. I think this will be a nice change of scenery for me. Running in new places always makes me feel refreshed and I kind of like the idea of not having to map out a 15 mile route or a 20 mile route for my long run.

These are just a few reasons why I joined a running club. I am sure there are a million benefits to being a member of a running club which I will soon find out.

Are you a member of a running club?

Tell me some of the benefits that you have discovered to being a member of a running club.

No comments:

Post a Comment