Feb 22, 2012

DNS#2 and Thoughts on Not Running...


Life has been pretty stressful lately since I have not been able to run.  My last run was the Tinker Bell Half Marathon on January 29th.  Since then, I have missed the Surf City Marathon and the Pasadena R&R Half Marathon. Pretty depressing...

To put it mildly...I really miss running!  I feel as though something I love has been taken away from me.  I can't begin to tell how many times I have wanted to just ignore the doctor's orders and just go for a run....just a short run and not tell anyone about it.  I would keep it between the pavement and me.  It would be our little secret.

It's difficult to go on Twitter, Facebook or even read all of my favorite blogs because it's all good news.  Please don't get me wrong. I love to read about all of the great tempo runs, the challenging long runs and all of the PR's that all of you are knocking out.  I just wish it was me so maybe I am insanely a little jealous.  I had big plans for 2012 and now I am not quite certain what this year has in store for me. Those familiar routes that I was getting tired of running now seem so desirable to me these days. 

I can hardly wait to get back out there and have a decent run.  I can't wait to feel my Garmin on my wrist again.  I can hardly wait to break one of those awesome sweats that lets you know you accomplished something.  I can't wait to feel my running shoes back on my feet again. I can hardly wait to be sore again after a marathon.  I can't wait to get home from a great run and share it on DailyMile. I can hardly wait to wake up early on a Sunday morning to go for a long run. I can't wait to run with my buddies again. I can hardly wait to feel those butterflies in my stomach right before the start of a marathon. I just want my life to go back to "normal" again.


I have been doing other forms of cardio like the elliptical, stationary bike and I even cheat and take a spin class once in a while but it's not the same as a run.  I know that I should be using this time to work on strength training and flexibility since I seem to ignore these things. I have been wanting to try a yoga class but it just doesn't appeal to me like a  15 mile run does! I did make progress and actually bought a yoga video but I have yet to pop it in the DVD player and try it out. 


My shopping habits have also spiraled out of control.  Lululemon and Nike.com are loving me right now!!  I have bought like three pairs of shoes, a few more running skirts, a few pairs of Tempo shorts and you don't know how many times I have been tempted to sign up for a race or two. I hope my husband isn't reading this post but I am sure he has clued in on all the UPS deliveries we have been receiving lately!!

I know I sound like a big whiner but if you are a runner you can probably relate. It is going to be a while before you hear the words, "I don't feel like running today" come out of my mouth. I know that I have to be smart and take the time to let my body heal.  Thank you to everyone who reminds me of the need to take this break and listen to the doctor. I do appreciate it because it stops me from putting on my running shoes and secretly flying out the front door. I promise to never take a single run for granted again even if it's a less than wonderful one.

Tomorrow will be physical therapy session #3.  The pain is still there but seems to be getting a little bit better. Thanks for listening to me vent!

5 comments:

  1. I got that Lululemon skirt in black and I love it! I am so excited to get to wear it as soon as it warms up. Hope you get back to running soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how hard it is not to be able to run! I hope you are up and running again soon. Cute running gear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel. Just hang in there and keep shopping until you heal! hahaha works for me every time! Those skirts are amazing. I'm loving the pink that Lululemon is carrying this season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh dear....I feel so bad for you. I get it. I admire you for being so good. It will pay off. you will see. hopefully you will be at the starting line in hollywood. when you start running again you just need to be patient with yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are able to run soon! I have a tendency to undergo retail therapy. Enjoy your new Lululemon and Nike goodies!

    ReplyDelete