Jul 9, 2012

My Dad's Results and Some Motivation

I mentioned last week that my Dad was due to have a scan to check the status of his cancer.  I knew that he would get the results today so I called him on my way home from work to find out if he had heard anything.  It is a chemo week for him so he is usually really nauseous and not feeling so well so I planned to keep it short.
I could tell by the sound of his voice that the results were favorable but sometimes my Dad is hard to read because he tries to stay as positive as possible. He told me that his doctor said that things looked really good and to live his life and do whatever he wants to do. Unfortunately the cancer is still there but has not spread, his organs are healthy, yet the cancer has not gotten any better. That is good news but not necessarily the news that I was hoping to hear. My Dad said that he is grateful and was happy with the news. 

The news brightened my evening and I headed to the gym to get an easy 4 four mile run in on the treadmill since it was still 100 degrees at 5pm!  I thought of my Dad the whole time and 4 miles became 7! 
Average pace of 8:15-I will take that for a Monday!

A huge thank you to everyone who sent my Dad well wishes and kept us in your prayers.  The power of prayer is amazing!

14 comments:

  1. glad your dad had good results today
    this has to be hard each time always wondering
    I get worried every 6 mos when I have my scans for my tumor and I dont even know if mine is cancer...(after 3 yrs it does look like it is not but unless I have a surgery I will not know for sure)

    this heat is killing me. this week I cannot start my runs before 9:15 by then it is already very very hot but I dont want to go inside everyday...so I go slow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline! I just wish the cancer would go away!! That must be scary for you to have those cancer scans! I think after three years you are perfectly fine. The heat is killing me too. I have found that if I cam not out the door by 6:30am for my long runs, I am going to suffer!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like your dad has a great outlook. It's amazing what that can do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping for the best! He is doing so well and I hope that the next scan is more promising. Thank you for the support.

      Delete
  3. I'm very glad to hear the "not bad news" about your dad. I bet his good attitude is helping him keep this cancer at bay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terzah. I think his attitude makes all of the difference. He just won't the cancer take over his life and stop him from living. I am not sure how he does it. He certainly inspires me.

      Delete
  4. As a person who lost my own father to cancer in 2007 I will definitely be keeping your father in my prayers. Your dad has a wonderful outlook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for keeping my dad in your prayers and I am sorry to hear of your loss. I appreciate the support.

      Delete
  5. Isn't it amazing how "comforting" the word "stable" becomes in time of crisis... Your family is in my thoughts as we share very similar paths... <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Jenn for your continued support and I hope that things on your end are okay as well :)

      Delete
  6. What a relief that it hasn't spread, I'm continuing to think about you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Katherine! It was a relief but at the same time frustrating since it is still there! I have to be thankful though. I really do!

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear the good news about your Dad! I will continue to keep him in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your continued support and prayers! I hope we get some good news the next time around!

      Delete