Oct 8, 2013

It's Race Week: My Final Thoughts Before the Long Beach Marathon

My honest thoughts...the marathon is a beast that never gets easy for me. Some marathons have been better than others but the distance will always be difficult for me to conquer. It never gets easy for me nor does it ever feel easier no matter how many times I attempt it. I have a love/hate relationship with the marathon but I think I love it more than I hate it!

I have not been feeling 100% for the last couple of weeks. I am not quite sure what is going on and my doctor advised me that running this marathon may not be the best idea. I kind of agree with him but then I don't. The problems that I have been experiencing do not occur while I am running but sometimes after a run. I have made the decision to run this marathon with the promise to pull out if I don't feel 100%. It will be tough to put a DNF on the books but if I have to do it, I will.
My training has been pretty solid and I have trained for a full 15 weeks. Week 11 kind of fell apart due to the death of a close friend but I was able to get back on track. I don't want to throw all of this training away so even if this race turns into a PW I think it is worth it to me.

If all goes well, my goal for this race is to beat my 2011 time of 4:05:35 when I ran this marathon for the first time. Best case I would love to run a sub-four because even though I have already ran a sub-four marathon I don't think it comes very easy for me. I am not looking to BQ or anything spectacular like that because the course is not one that I would chose for a BQ. It is a great course by the beach but there are a couple things that I really don't like about the course. Most of the course loops… meaning you go through a street, then you turn around and then you run it back, so most of the time you run against the people running ahead and behind of you. Clocks are also non-existent on this course so you are forced to really babysit the Garmin which I am trying to get better at not doing. I just want to run a smart race and if I do, I think I can live with whatever time it takes me to finish. Every race cannot and will not be a PR as much as I would like it to be!!

I am thinking about running with a pacer to see how I like it. I usually like to run my own race so that I can be under control but since this is a just a training run (if you will) this might be a good time to experiment with a few things. I am also considering running without my running belt and just carrying a hand held that I can refill at the water stops. I used to hate carrying the handheld but have actually trained myself to do it on shorter runs. I am not sure if I can commit to this or not since the thought of a water shortage on the course is one of my worst nightmares. I have never heard of this happening on this race but again I don't want to be stressed about things that I have control over.

So there you have it:

1) Beat 4:05:35, or sub four if I have it in me!

2) Ditch the hydration belt and carry the handheld!

3)  Run a smart race which may mean pulling out if I am not feeling good.

Most of all, I am excited about crossing the finish line and getting my marathon medal from this sweet friend of mine who is volunteering at the race and also finally getting my hands on my Beach Cities Challenge medal.
 

Who else is racing this week? What distance?

14 comments:

  1. Great plan! I've done two full marathons and haven't races with water during either. I knew the course had water every 2k, so it didn't need it. I think you will find no belt really liberating. How are you going to hold fuel though? Also, a pacer is a good idea as long as they are on pace. If they are not or if their plan doesn't jive with yours, ditch them. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Nicole! I have a smaller belt that I can use that holds my bib, phone and a slots for GU. The belt can be heavy so I kind of want to see what it is like to run with less weight even though I am used to the belt during my training runs. I just might try the pacer but you are right, if they are moving too fast then I will have to do it on my own!

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear you're not feeling the best Sandy! You're so right: the marathon is a beast. The sheer volume of miles takes a toll for sure. I hope you surprise yourself and have a better than anticipated day. I'll be cheering you on in spirit!
    I need to put a surf board medal race on my bucket list. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling much better these past couple of days. I am just hoping for a good race which does not include the death march the last 6.2 miles. I just cannot let that happen anymore. Yes, you do need one of these surf board medals. You have been telling me this for a long time now!

      Delete
  3. I love your "death march" comment!! I would love to avoid those painful last few miles this time around! I would also love to run with you,but I'm not sure I would be able to keep up with you!! :-) I'm thinking about running with the 4:15 pacer...as it doesn't look like they have a 4:10 and 4:00 might be a little tough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking about running with a pacer too but haven't decided which one. I can't believe that they don't have a 4:00 or 4:10 pacer. Start with the 4:15 pacer and if you feel good in the second half you can always leave them and do it on your own. GOOD LUCK! We will have the chance to run a race together soon!

      Delete
  4. Wow, that 15 weeks flew by - at least for me!! You always sound like you have a pretty level head about these things, so am sure you'll do what's best for you.

    Keeping good thoughts for you as you head into the final days! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Lisa! I hate putting too much pressure on myself. I did that for my sub four marathon goal in May and now I just need to give myself time to prepare for my next big race in May. I guess I am not in a big hurry to get to Boston or else I would be doing a lot more! I will be 45 soon and a 3:55 seems so much easier to reach sometimes!

      Delete
  5. I had the death march in Eugene and am hoping not to repeat it this weekend in Chicago! It will feel great knowing you are running too. Best of luck, Sandy! I bet you will exceed your expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOOD LUCK to you Terzah! I so badly want you to see you BQ in Chicago! I guess I am too picky and hoping for perfect racing conditions so I am not setting my hopes too high. I really want to focus on running a smart race and avoiding that decline in the end!

      Delete
  6. Congrats and good luck to you!! Random question... you don't like hydration belts??? What about them bothers you? Just curious.. I'm running my 1st full and plan to wear a belt. Wondering if I shouldn't. ... maybe just peesonal preference???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Lydia! If you trained with a hydration belt and are fine with it then you should be fine. I train with mine as well but the weight sometimes bothers me and I wanted to try to run without all of the weight. I usually have to use body glide on my back as well since the belt sometimes rubs and gives me a burn. I just wanted to try something new. Good luck to you as well!

      Delete
  7. Never mind my question.... just read other replies!! LOL. Good luck to you... you got this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lydia! Good Luck to you too. Are you also running Long Beach?

      Delete