Nov 27, 2013

What I Am Thankful For and What I Plan to do on Thanksgiving Day

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVE! 

November is coming to an end and I cannot believe that tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day. We also have about 27 days until Christmas Day. Sometimes I get caught up in all of the hustle and bustle of the holidays and forget to stop and count my blessing so I would like to share some of things that I am truly thankful for in my life in no particular order.
1. I am thankful for my health.  As most of you already know, my Dad is still fighting cancer and going through chemotherapy. His condition has remained stable, meaning that the cancer has not spread but it has not gotten any better either. Even though he is not cancer free, I am thankful that he is still here with us and is still able to work and enjoy his life. He had a scan late last week and we are waiting for his results. Please pray that the results are favorable.

2. I am very thankful to be employed. I know that I have said this a million times but I am truly blessed to have such a great job. I have been unemployed in the past but thankfully not for a long period of time. I know how tough it is when you don't have a job and there are bills to be paid. It is a terrible place to be and I know that there are people out there who are dealing with financial issues. Money isn't everything but in this world we need it to survive.

3. I am thankful for my family and to have two healthy children. They are great people and we support one another no matter what type of situations may arise. They support my running and make it possible for me. I know that I am nothing without them standing by my side. They take care of my son when I need to go for a run or watch him when he doesn't want to go to my races. He says that I take too long to finish marathons! My family is always proud of me no matter what the result may be and for that I am thankful.

4. I am thankful to have a home and food on the table. So many people have lost their homes due to the poor economy and that makes life pretty tough. I am also thankful to have food on the table since so many people are homeless or have been displaced for one reason or another.
5. I am thankful that I have stayed injury free this year and that I can run. I have become good friends with my foam roller and my Stick and I have become much better at listening to my body. There are days when I really want to run but if I am not feeling 100% I know that it is not worth it. The foam roller has saved my life and even though it can be painful I am committed to living with the pain :)
 
My plans for Thanksgiving include running a Turkey Trot (5K) first thing in the morning and then hurrying home to cook the Thanksgiving meal. I usually pop the turkey in the oven the night before and let it cook over night on a really low temperature in a roasting pan. It comes out really tender and juicy. We will be feasting on turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, veggies, rolls and maybe some other goodies. This will be our first Thanksgiving without Grandpa so I know that it is going to be tough for my Grandma. We will be picking her up and spending the day with her even though she said that she was going to just stay home by herself.

What are your plans for Thanksgiving Day?

Tell me one thing that you are thankful for today?

5 comments:

  1. Thinking and praying for your dad, Sandy! Cancer is a jerk.
    You have such a wonderful family and support system. So much to be thankful for! Wishing you all a happy (early) thanksgiving!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Christina. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving and give that sweet baby Princeton a big kiss for me. I swear I am going to steal him one day!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11/27/2013

    Always lifting you and your family up in prayer -- especially this week as we wait for those results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankful for being able to run 5 pain-free miles today under sunny skies. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy thanksgiving to you and your family. Hugs to you and your father…..cancer sucks you know what. Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete