Jul 14, 2014

Weekly Recap: July 7-July 13

The heat has been horrible and one of my daily chores is to look at the 7-day forecast so I can plan my long run around it. My goal for the week was to get 35 miles in and I exceeded my goal! Here is a recap of my training for the week.

Monday: 8 Miles @9:09 avg pace/I took a vacation day from work on Monday and swore that I was going to get up early and run but it did not happen. I slept in an extra hour and by then it was 80 plus degrees. The good news is that I still got my run in but on the treadmill. I knew that I needed to take this one easy because I ran 15 miles the day before.

Tuesday: Rest Day from running but I did so some arm and core work. I also did some foam rolling and used my Stick because my quads were a tad bit sore. The rest day did me some good.

Wednesday: 7 Mile Tempo@7:54/I wanted to quit the entire time on this run. I was tired and it was tough. I kept telling myself to be strong and keeping pushing and I guess it worked because I finished it as planned.

Thursday: Rest Day from running but did some squats and core work.

Friday: 18 Miles@8:41 avg pace/I was up and out that door by 5:45 am. The forecast said it was going to be 62 and overcast and it was about 64 degrees when I stepped out the door. This run was a lot better than last week but I was pretty tired for the rest of the day.

Saturday: Rest Day from running but did my strength training and lots of foam rolling. I did a 4:30 plank too!

Sunday: 7 miles @8:54 avg pace/This run was not so great. My legs were sore and tired and I just wasn't feeling it. I wasn't able to get my pace under 9:00 until the last two miles of the run and I was so happy it was over!

Total Miles: 40/This was a good week for me. I am not a high mileage runner so this is pretty much where I max out.

The Summer Run Challenge is keeping me accountable because once I throw my goal out there for the week I am determined to meet it! I hope the weather is better to me next week because these long runs are getting more and more challenging in the heat. I am not sure how I will survive 20 mile runs in this heat!


What is the most miles you have ever ran in a week? 
I want to say that I have ran up to 42 miles once.

8 comments:

  1. Good job getting that mileage in! I'd say my max for a week is 35. I usually run 25 + bike 45. Yesterday I was supposed to run 20 miles and I got out there at 7 a.m. and was dying in the heat by mile 18. I called it a day and I rarely do that -- can't remember the last time I did. But I am learning to be smart and listen to my body and not just put in 2 more miles to reach the number on the training plan. I learned some lessons and the next long run will be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on that. If I want to get all of my miles in I have to get out there early. The heat is my worst enemy and if I try to push it in the heat I don't feel so good in the end. 18 is still very good and you have some time to get a 20 miler in.

      Delete
  2. Nice job on your 40 mile week! That's impressive. I think my max week is around there, but I find that's high mileage for my legs if I keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My legs can't handle 40 miles every single week and I get way too tired! Can't wait for the baby to arrive!!

      Delete
  3. I think when I was marathon training I did a couple of 50 mile weeks, but usually I am in the 20s or 30s. Great job with your 40 mile week especially when you are dealing with that heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! I don't think I can make it to 50 miles per week, That would be pretty tough. I have never been a high mileage runner. I guess you are proof that you do not have to run lots of miles to be speedy! Great job on your half!

      Delete
  4. The heat slows me down, but you're running at a great pace even through the heat. That's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! If I was not getting out there at 5-6am I would not be able to do it. As I am finishing my long runs I can feel the difference in the temperature and it starts to take a toll on me.

      Delete