Jun 27, 2011

Long Training Run Number Two: 9 Miles

Weather Report: Sunny and 59 degrees


I finally decided to get out of bed at 6:30am to get ready for my second long training run.  I could see that the sun was already out so I wasn't too happy about that.  Even though the temperature was only 59 degrees, the sun shining down on you can make a huge difference in your run.

What a bright and sunny morning!!
I ran by myself today so my run seemed longer than ever but I managed to pull through it alone.  My first few miles are always the slowest because it takes a little while for my engine to warm up.  Miles one through three got me warmed up and then I started to kick in.  Today I ran one of my many local routes than I do on a regular basis. It is a pretty flat route and consists of streets that are not too busy early in the morning.  

Mile 1: 8:41
Mile 2: 8:22
Mile 3: 8:19
5K: 26:11

Miles 3.5 through 5.5 were the most tempting parts of my run today.  I passed about 20 restaurants and I could smell the food cooking.  It smelled so good and made me think about eating and not running!
Krispy Kreme donuts has the best aroma!  The "HOT DONUTS NOW" light always seems to be on when I pass by!!  My laps seemed to improve right after I smelled the fresh donuts, so maybe this is a good way to get me going. My goal is to keep a faster pace on my shorter runs so that when it comes to the higher mileage runs, my marathon goal pace of 9:00 will seem much easier.  I sure hope my body and my mind fall for the trick!
HOT DONUTS NOW!!
Mile 4: 8:09
Mile 5: 8:08
Mile 6: 7:56
10K: 51:03

At mile 6, I passed by the 10 freeway.  I get pretty close to the freeway on this route.  Well, at least it's the closest that I will ever get to it while on foot.  I was starting to feel a little tired at this point of my run because I had picked up my pace a bit and I had only planned on doing 7 miles.  I decided that I needed to push myself a little harder today because I was pretty disappointed with myself for being sore after last weeks long run.  The long runs from this point forward will be in the double digits and I needed my body to know that the easy runs were a thing of the past!  I took a small detour which added a couple more miles to my run.  I always try to push myself the hardest during my last mile and today my last mile was my best mile :) I was pretty happy with myself after this run because it made me feel better about the defeat I had last week and the feelings I had about being out of shape.

Mile 7: 7:58
Mile 8: 7:54
Mile 9: 7:50

I was starving like crazy after my run, so we headed off for a nice breakfast.  I had an egg white omelet with spinach, mushrooms, tomato and onion and a side of fresh fruit. It was sooo good and I ate the whole thing!
Yum Yum!!
My goal for this week is to make sure that I get all of my scheduled runs in and make to make it to Spin Class when I can. Next week the training schedule calls for a twelve mile run.   I haven't ran twelve miles in a while due to my ITBS so I am a little nervous about it but I think I am ready for the challenge.

Garmin stats


No comments:

Post a Comment