Sep 15, 2011

Am I Going Insane or What?

I'm in a weird state where I feel great and empowered about running and then I can't get my brain to stop spinning and I feel stressed about running period! I keep having paranoid thoughts that maybe I won't do so well in the Long Beach Marathon or be unable to finish it!  What in the world is going on with me?? This race is 23 days away and I need to pull it together!!  Whenever I feel this way I start signing up for more races or looking for new ways to improve my skills and confidence.  These feelings started with my 20 mile run last Sunday.  I felt that I should have done way better than I did and I really got discouraged.  I had no reason not to do well on my 20 miler because the weather was perfect and the sun never came out during the whole run.  On the bright side, I will be tackling 22 miles this Sunday, the weather will be great and I need to redeem myself or else this is going to be ugly.
The last time that I had these weird feelings I signed up for four half marathons. I played it safe and signed up for half marathons...not full marathons.  Chicken!  Well this time I came up with two really crazy thoughts.  My first crazy thought....Why not tackle the Beach Cities Challenge?  This consists of completing this series of marathons:

1) Long Beach International City Bank Marathon on October 9, 2011, which I am already registered for and will be tackling in just a few weeks!
2) Surf City Marathon on February 5, 2012

3) The OC Marathon on May 6, 2012.

So what do you get for doing all of these marathons?  You get this lovely medal:

The Queen Mary signifies the Long Beach Marathon, the Surf Board represents the Surf City Marathon and the Wave is for the OC Marathon.  Kinda cute huh?

I got this neat medal hanger for my birthday from my husband and it's looking pretty empty these days.  I only have three medals to date and he must be giving me a big hint because this sucker is huge and can probably hold 50 plus medals.  I guess I better sign up for some more races so I am not feeling embarrassed of how empty it looks.
My medal hanger currently has three medals :(
My second crazy idea is to become a Marathon Maniac!  In order to achieve Bronze Level status, I would have to complete one of the two options below.  I think I would prefer to complete "3 Marathons within a 90 day time frame." 

The three marathons that would qualify me for Marathon Maniac status include the following:

1) Surf City Marathon on February 5, 2012

2) Los Angeles Marathon on March 18, 2012

3) OC Marathon on May 6, 2012

Since I am already running the Surf City and the OC Marathon for the Beach Cities Challenge, why not add one more marathon and kill two birds with one stone?? What do you think?  Would you take on both of these challenges?

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog and the pic you have posted at top! Was that the RNR Marathon in Vegas??!! I did San Diego and Virginia Beach. They are great marathons!

    xo,
    Sarah
    Get Up & Go

    ReplyDelete