Jun 11, 2013

Weekly Recap (6/3/13-6/9/13) and Another Marathon in the Near Future

Last week was a really low mileage week (18.34 miles to be exact) plus I threw a little 10K in there last Sunday and felt pretty strong and pain free. I did better than I expected for not looking at my watch. I am not sure if I will do that again since I think I would have done better if I had looked at my Garmin a little sooner than Mile 6!

I am planning to start running at least 25 miles per week starting this week. It has been two weeks since my marathon so I feel like I have completely recovered and I am ready to get back into things. With summer making it's debut on June 21st, I have been hesitant to sign up for any races in the month of June or July. I do not run well in the summer heat but will probably end up training through the summer to prepare myself for another marathon at the end of this year or in early 2014.
I am registered for the Long Beach Half Marathon in October and may consider moving up to the full marathon if that is what works out for me. I have my eye on a ton of other marathons I want to run but I have not committed to anything as of yet. I really want to run an out of state marathon since most of my races have been local but travel costs can be expensive. I think I might consider planning a vacation which conveniently falls on the same day as a race!

I haven't ran a 5K in quite some time and I am considering running the Pasadena 5K on June 30th. Some other family members mentioned it to us the other day and I have kind of been thinking about it. Since it might be hot, the distance should not be so bad. I might even run it with my other half since he is starting to like this whole 5K thing and wants to improve his time.

Do you run races during the summer months? 
How do you survive marathon training in the summer months?

11 comments:

  1. You are turning into a marathon machine! It gives me the itch.

    Marathon training made me fast and I wish I would have taken advantage of some 5ks. Hopefully you get a nice cool morning. Good luck!

    Arizona is pretty blazing hot now and probably uninviting to a Californian, but there is the Rock N Roll in January...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually thinking about Rock and Roll Arizona in January but I wanted to look into the weather conditions. You scare me with your posts about the 108 degree heat!

      Delete
    2. It's true. The weather gets pretty chilly in the winter though, and I think we're somewhere in the 40-60 degree range in January. I've debated doing that full (I still am, actually), but I guess we'll see. It's a fairly flat course.

      Delete
  2. I usually don't race much in the summer so that injury thing is happening at an ok time ...
    LA that is on my list....it'd be great for my 45th bday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My injury happened right in the middle of race season and I missed so many races! It was very depressing to say the least. It would great to see you run a marathon. I will be there to support you in any way that I can so let me know when it is going to happen.

      Delete
  3. If it gets to warm, I typically try to get my runs in during the mornings or early evenings. It's never a good idea to go out when it's the hottest part of the day, unless you are training to run in heat. Either way, stay hydrated.

    See you at Dumbo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During the summer I try to get out there as early as 5:30am because it warms up quick! Hope to see you at Dumbo! I'm excited! You are good at organizing meet ups so let me know if you decide to put something together. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I only do short races in the summer - like 5k time trial events or things like that. I'm the same, not too good in the heat. To get through marathon training in the summer I have to run super early in the morn and make sure I am really organised with water and know where I can refill my bottles/stop for a drink on my routes. Good luck with the summer running :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually carry my water but also try to plan my routes around places that where I can refill my water. I even have hiding spots where I hide my water the night before. I am hoping to add a couple of short races in this summer but really hate the heat :(

      Delete
  5. I'm actually doing more races this summer than I have been doing--three halfs before the Chicago Marathon in October. I'm excited about that!

    I'll be interested to hear which marathon you choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half marathons are my favorite! They are good for getting you ready for a marathon and give you a good idea of where you are at with your running. I want to run another marathon before I started fearing them again! Good luck with your half marathons and keep me posted of how things are going.

      Delete