Mar 8, 2012

An Incredibly Slow Run in My Super Clean Shoes

Today was my big day!  I got up early and headed out the door for a test run in my super clean shoes.  I don't think I have ever seen my shoes this clean for this long.  I avoid looking at them because it is a sign that I have been absolutely nothing in them! In my defense, the shoes are fairly new but new shoes never stay clean for too long when you are working them out like you ought to be, right?

I was a little nervous about this run because tomorrow is uncertain. My pace was incredibly slow, especially for the first mile which was well over a 10 minute pace.  I felt some tightness in my knee the first mile and I stopped a few times to stretch it out and take a little break. It actually felt very weird to run.  I felt awkward and felt like my feet were heavy.  It just felt different... The second mile was still incredibly slow was a little bit better since the weird feelings were starting to go away. Mile three was the best. It was still incredibly slow but a little bit faster than the first two.  

Even though I was feeling pretty good, I stopped at three miles, iced my leg immediately and popped an anti-inflammatory.  The pain seems to get me the next day so now it's a waiting game. Although I am not excited about my pace, it's definitely a start for me and I know that I have to be patient. Please continue to keep your fingers crossed that I will not back to square one tomorrow. I also want to thank everyone who has stopped by to send me well wishes on my journey back to running.  It keeps me hopeful, optimistic and most of all sane!


If you haven't noticed, this little countdown clock to my next race has appeared on my Homepage! I am hoping to be able to run the Hollywood Half Marathon on April 6th. The race is a month away so if I am not able to run by then, I might as well just just commit myself to an insane asylum!

6 comments:

  1. you will be there!
    I am hoping you will be good tomorrow!
    I think you need to ignore the pace and just focus on either how long you run or how far. No pace for now. It will drive you nuts and highlight something negative for you...for me that pace is pretty good!! see I told you I should be your pacer!! Focus on the positive
    you ran
    you ran 3 miles
    it was not nothing
    it was not walking
    it was not power walking
    it was running.
    that is a good day.

    Hollywood here we come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for running three miles! I hope you continue on your road do recovery and are able to keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christy! I am so worried but it was something that I just had to do!

      Delete
  3. Great job on the run! I know that 3 miles means a lot to you. Hoping there are many more pain free miles in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job--I am so happy for you. Fingers crossed that everything still feels good tomorrow. I'll also keep the good vibes going for your half on April 6. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the well wishes Terzah. I am hopeful that I will be able to run the half in April but if not I will accept it.

      Delete