Aug 18, 2012

Peak 10 and a Visit with My Dad

This morning I tried out a new class called Peak 10 at my friends private fitness club. The class involved circuit training which really challenges your cardio and core strength. I hesitated but figured it was worth a try since the class normally costs $45 for members and I am not even a member.  I would really love to join her gym but the monthly fee is $110, plus there is a one time  initiation fee of $410.00, which is not in my budget at the moment. I pay $9.00 a month for my gym membership and it serves my purpose.

Peak 10 was fun since you were able to do it with a partner. The class included sit ups push ups, planks, exercises with sandbags, squats and resistance training. We rotated to the different stations around the room based on time. I was beat by the time the class was over but really enjoyed it. We also ran 2 miles before the class and two miles after so I was pretty tired when I got home.  

The real highlight of my day was seeing my Dad. He called me up mid-week and told me that he wanted to come and see me. He knows how much I love the little hole in the wall Thai restaurant near my house so he wanted to meet up and have dinner there.

My step-mom's cousin was visiting them from North Carolina so they brought him along.  I actually visited North Carolina when I was probably 7 or 8 years old and I think I actually met him back then but didn't really remember him. My youngest sister and her family also came to visit.
We had a great dinner and I ate more than I should have but I can never resist this place.  It is one of those places that you don't go for the service but for the great tasting food at a reasonable price. I am sure that my Dad's sense of taste is horrible from the chemo but he still ate pretty good. It is important for him to keep his weight up because the chemo really takes a toll on his body and he can lose weight very quickly.

We had a great visit and they met all of my puppies for the first time.  I wish my step mom could have taken one of the puppies because she spoils her dogs rotten. Her dogs do not eat regular dog food from the pet store because she makes their dog food for them and they love it. She really wanted to take "Chiquita", the smallest white pup, but my Dad said no. I think I will send her this picture to pull at her heartstrings!
My Dad will be celebrating his 61st birthday on Monday so it was great to see him since his birthday is so close.  I am glad that he made it another year and that he has not let cancer win this battle. He was not very healthy on his 60th last year so this year was a better one for all of us.  


Happy Birthday Daddy. I love you!

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful end to the day to be able to get together with family! Happy Birthday to your Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got to see your dad and that he is feeling better for this birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terzah! It is a blessing that he has made it this far. I hope it continues.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great day and so glad your Dad is celebrating 61 better off than a year ago! Happy birthday to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christy! This past year has definitely been much better for him and he continues to keep a positive outlook.

      Delete
    2. ps I tagged you on my blog today
      http://www.christyruns.com/2012/08/very-inspiring-blogger-award.html

      Delete
    3. Thank You! I will go and check it out!

      Delete
  4. I am glad you got to spend time with your dad. He sounds like a tough guy!!:) I also like that North Carolina tee your step-mom's cousin has on.;)Happy Birthday to your dad!! May he enjoy many more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured you would love the NC shirt! Thank you for the well wishes for my dad. I am hoping for a better year and a better prognosis!

      Delete