Oct 15, 2012

Taking Chances...

I finally got myself together yesterday afternoon and went for that test run I kept talking about. After the rain we had last Thursday I thought that the hot weather was finally over but I was wrong.  It is back into the 90's for a good part of this week which makes running outside almost impossible for me. I can't wait for the heat to move on so that I can get back to my regular routine. I think I need to spend more time on the roads then on the treadmill which may be a good explanation as to why my shin is rebelling.
I had no choice but to run on the treadmill because I did not get up early enough to run (this is really starting to become a bad habit) and by the time I decided that I was going to do it, it was already 91 degrees. The gym was pretty empty which was nice because during the week it is crazy busy and if you get there too late you have to wait to get a machine. I was able to run with minor shin pain but I can still feel something there.  I alternated between running a half mile and walking a quarter mile and ended up with 3.35 miles. Not much of a "run" but I wasn't about to go all out and kill myself after a 21 day break from running! I did have to stop myself a couple of times from increasing the speed since I was feeling good and I felt refreshed to be running again.

Although the pain was minimal, the true test is always the very next day. As I am typing this post, I can say that I am feeling pretty good. The pain is still there when I touch it but I am not feeling like my whole leg is about to fall off! Today is a cross training day so I will be spinning this evening and tomorrow I will attempt the same jog/walk routine as I did yesterday and see what happens. I am being faithful about stretching, electrotherapy, icing and doing my PT exercises. I am also getting better at taping myself with KT Tape and that seems to be helping as well. 
The three black dots are the point of pain, in case you were wondering.
Hopefully this will be a turning point for me. I have an exciting "Girls Only" weekend coming up which includes a little bit of running so hopefully I can be a part of it.

Can I also confess my jealousy towards everyone who ran the Nike Women's Marathon on Sunday?  Everyone was talking about these super cute Tiffany blue Lunarglides and I want them... I am not sure if I would wear them but I would love to have them even though I did not run the race. They are all over Ebay for $200-300+ which is out of my spending limit for shoes :(

 
Were you lucky enough to run the hills of the Nike Women's Marathon or Half Marathon this weekend in San Francisco? 
I wasn't, but this race is definitely on my list of races to run.  It has the best race loot by far!
 
Do you collect special limited edition items from races?  
I never do but I am sure that I will go broke on Boston Marathon everything when I finally get there!

10 comments:

  1. Holy moly I like those shoes but I would never pay that much for them, I am not a collector of things though either.

    I was also not lucky enough to run the Nike womens marathon or half marathon either.

    Hope your shin continues to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Christy! The shoes are super cute but I am not convinced that I am going to pay that much for them unless there is something magical in them that is going get me a BQ! Hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw where someone else had posted a picture of those shoes. I had no idea the swag for the Nike women's half was so amazing. No wonder everyone wants to run it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tiffany's necklace is what everyone wants! I heard that the course is full of hills so I think I will stick to the half marathon!

      Delete
  4. Wow in the 90s still!

    Hopefully one day I will be lucky enough to run in the NWM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The hot weather will not go away! I am thinking about entering the lottery next year but I will stick to the half. Hilly courses make me nervous!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10/15/2012

    Last weekend, it was Chicago Marathon jealousy. This weekend it's the Nike Women's Marathon! Sigh... Add 'em to the bucket list! Also, I feel the same as you about Boston - I generally just love the experience of races, but whenever I do finally make it Boston, I'm sure I'll buy a whole new wardrobe at the expo, haha! Take care of that shin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This shin is starting to frustrate me but I know I have to be patient! And look at you...I am so proud of all of the running you are doing with that baby on board! Take care and keep us posted on the baby :)

      Delete
  6. I actually *was* curious about where your shin pain is, so I'm glad you showed us. :^)

    I'm glad the pain was minimal. Keep telling yourself you are doing the *right* thing and stick with the cross-training. You will be rewarded for being patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just that small area that hurts and it is right near my shin bone. I am not sure why it won't go away. It subsides but returns once I run. At this point, I can only accept it and hope for the best :(

      Delete