Oct 5, 2012

Would Everyone Please Make Up Your Minds!

Thank you to everyone who wished me well and gave some great advice about what I should do about my half marathon on Sunday. I know the answer but sometimes you need to hear it from other people so you know what an idiot you really are for thinking that doing what you want over what is best is the right thing. I still haven't convinced myself that I am not run Long Beach in case you are wondering but I most likely it is a big fat " NO." I just need to give myself false hopes until Sunday so I won't be sad for more than a day. 

As far as this small area of unknown pain is concerned, my doctor recommended that I go to physical therapy and have them show me some stretches and strengthening exercises so that this weird pain will go away, so I went. I probably won't go again since I do want to get better and I will do the exercises that they have shown me. I don't need to pay them money to watch me do them so I will be fine on my own. All I need is a wall to lean against and a resistance band and I have both at home. The exercises are pretty easy so I think I am good.
The PT gave me an evaluation which included lots of ... "does this hurt" and "do this and do that" and he seems to think that the pain I am having is tendinitis of the muscle surrounding my shin.  He showed me some stretches and exercises and then iced me up before I left. He gave some handouts that illustrate the exercises so I will start to do them daily.
My son will be running the Kids Fun Run that is associated with the Long Beach Marathon tomorrow morning so I will have to head to Long Beach in spite of not running the half. I guess I will just head to the Expo and pick up my goodie bag and be done with it.  All runners get free admission into the Aquarium of the Pacific so I can at least get that and take my son. One thing that I won't be doing at the Expo is signing up for any races. I promise you that one! I am beginning to wonder if signing up early to save money is even worth it anymore since you lose all your money if you can't run the race for some reason or another. Is there a such thing as race insurance? That would be nice wouldn't it?
On the brighter side, my PT told me that I can continue to spin as long as their is no pain and I have no pain at all.  He seems to think that this is something really minor and as long as I don't run then it should heal up pretty quickly but he would not give me a time frame. It has already been two weeks since my last run so maybe a little while longer??

So life would be much easier if my doctors would make up their minds as to what is really wrong with me and I need to make up my mind about running Long Beach and get on with it! Oh..and the appraiser needs to make up his mind too since my lender has not heard back from him about my home appraisal!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE WHO IS RUNNING LONG BEACH AND CHICAGO! I WISH I WAS YOU!

10 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you won't be running, Sandy, but you'll come back from this stronger than ever! Hang in there and know that we'll be cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping that by playing this one smart I will be back in a couple of weeks! Thank you for the support Bill..as always!

      Delete
  2. Hope the exercises help so you can be back to good running soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to stay committed to doing them and hoping for the best!

      Delete
  3. I can totally understand how frustrating is not to run a race due to an injury! I have been there! it is smart to rest and listen to your Doc so it heals faster!!
    Hang in there, soon you will be running again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the well wishes! It is going to be tough to sit this one out but I know it is for the best!

      Delete
  4. Sorry you are having to miss you today, but at least your son still gets to run :) and you got a swag bag and free admission to the aquarium!

    Keep doing that PT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad the race has come and gone so I can move on with my life lol!! It was tough thinking about it this morning and my race clock went off anyway even though I wasn't running the race!

      Delete
  5. Dang it! I have so much to catch up on. I'm so sorry you couldn't run this half. I know you were looking forward to it. Just rest up so you can run a million more in the future! If it makes you feel any better, I can't run mine this upcoming Sunday either because I'm leaving for my trip that day. I didn't have a choice on departure :( I was pretty excited about it too. Oh well, these things happen! There will be more races for us to run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! I know that there will be plenty of other opportunities for me. I have to be patient plus I want to be 100% when I get out there and do my best. I can't wait to hear about your trip!

      Delete