Jun 11, 2012

A Family Reunion and Weekly Recap

Every June we have a family reunion and all of the families take turns organizing and putting the event together. My Dad is full Japanese so the reunion is hosted by my Dad's side of the family.  I enjoy it since it is the one time of year that I have the opportunity to see a lot of my relatives that I don't often see. I also get to see my Dad and I always look forward to seeing him. My niece, Taite, is in town for the summer so she came along with us and it was a great opportunity for her to see her Grandpa (my Dad) and spend some time with us since she lives in South Carolina. My brother-in-law is in the Navy so they have not yet found their permanent home.  I am hopeful that they will settle closer to California one day soon so we can see my sister and her family more often.
There were lots of games and activities for the kids and my husband and son won the Rock/Paper/Scissors championship and came home a few dollars richer! My husband was really getting into this game and was taking necklaces from the children and the elderly! In a nutshell, if you beat your opponent their necklaces which had a quarter attached, became yours. We had never seen the game played this way before and thought it was a great idea.
There was a ton of food and it was nice to see everyone especially my Dad! Taite decided to give chopsticks a try but after struggling for a few minutes she gave up! She is such a sweet and well-behaved little girl and I love her to death!
Weekly Recap
I ran 26.25 miles last week and met my goal of 25 miles for the week! I am still experiencing strange aches and pains and some issues if I try to run consecutive days. The good thing is that the pains goes away within a short period of time and I am pain free when I run. I usually try to run every other day and cross train in between but I am not quite there yet. The rest days are much needed and appreciated until I think I can handle more. I will continue to shoot for 25 miles a week and increase my mileage when I think I am ready for more. My goal is to run a strong half marathon in September and get closer to the 1:5o range again.
How was your weekend? Did you race or do anything special with your family?

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a great weekend. Family is the best huh! Didn't do anything with my family but had a really nice lunch on Sunday after Church with lots of my 'church family' - treats all round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spending time with family is important. It is great that you also spend time with your church family! Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. My in-laws were in town, so we had a fun family weekend too! It was very sad to see them go. Dan and I always get to take walks alone together etc., and we share all the cooking--it's very mellow and nice.

    Yay for a 25-mile-plus week! You're doing well to be careful and I think your goals are realistic and exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had a good time with the in-laws. I don't have in-laws anymore since they both past away before I really had the chance to get to know them. Keeping realistic goals has been a challenge since I want to get back out there and do something worth talking about but I am sure it will happen one day soon! I hope you are continuing to heal and I can't wait ti hear about your training with your new coach! I am jealous :)

      Delete
  3. It sounds like the family reunion was a lot of fun. I've never heard of doing a rock-paper-scissors championship like that. How neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time! It is always nice to see my Dad too. I always wonder how much longer I have with him so I am trying to enjoy him as much as I can!

      Delete